The Norfolk Academies Board has created individual Academy Councils for its constituent academies along the following lines:-
Attleborough Academy Norfolk AC, Fakenham Academy Norfolk AC, Wayland Academy Norfolk/Wayland Junior Academy Watton AC (as a single board). Norfolk Academies delegates to all its ACs the following powers and responsibilities:-
- develop the curriculum and propose appropriate and stretching targets for an academy
- monitor the academic performance of the academy through regular and appropriate reporting from academy managers to the AC, and holding managers to account for performance
- advise the Board of Directors on the academic performance of an academy
- recommend to the Board of Directors the strategic direction of an academy
- monitor the budget of the academy and ensure that the requirements of the TEN Group Financial Regulations & Procedures are being adhered to by the academy, in particular that delegated budget expenditure is not exceeded
- monitor the estate of the academy
- advise the Board of Directors on the need for specific additional resources required to ensure the academy’s efficient operation
- organise and hold meetings with parents and students following a permanent exclusion, or where the parents are entitled to ask for a meeting with Academy Council members in any other disciplinary situation
- deal with parent complaints and appeals
- maintain and develop relationships with the academy's stakeholders
- ensure that the academy maintains a healthy and safe learning and working environment, and that safeguarding and health and safety policies are fully implemented
- monitor the effectiveness and appropriateness of all academy policies
- report to the Board of Directors on the activities undertaken by the AC through this scheme of delegation.
In addition, AC Members should visit the academy on a regular basis in order to improve their knowledge regarding the academy’s staff, needs, priorities, strengths and weaknesses and to monitor and assess the priorities as outlined in the development plan.